2003-07-23

Now I feel like a real New Yorker

Forget going to the Statue of Liberty or a show on Broadway... tonight I went to the hip little Zipper Theatre and caught David Yazbek. I don't think I've ever been in a room with so many Jews before. Yazbek's between-song-patter and was hysterical and he played most of my favorite songs (albeit in some bizarre arrangements). After Patrick Wilson (who I ran into in the restroom afterwords) sang a bland song from the upcoming musical version of DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS, Yazbek joked that the rest of the score consisted simply of "You con me, I con you..." Honestly I wasn't terribly impressed with the other new material, but he played a fantastic throw-away number ("Stupid Song") as the rest of his band tried to sort out a malfunctioning amp. And I don't want to sound like a starfucker, but I'm pretty sure Jason Robert Brown was there seated across from me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home